Halloween is everyone’s favorite time of year…candy apples and pumpkin pie season! Who’s with us? We wanted to highlight our all-time favorite Halloween treat…talk about salty and sweet all in one bite! The famous chef, Giada De Laurentiis shared her caramel and chocolate candy apples with us, and we wanted to pass the delicious recipe on to you!
Caramel & Chocolate Candy Apples
This tasty treat is sure to be a big hit at your Halloween bash…for both the kids AND the adults! You can decorate the apples using any toppings, and the apple makes it at least a bit healthy, right?! You’ll thank us later when your guests leave with full stomachs, and big smile across their faces!
Total Time: 5 hr 20 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Inactive: 5 hr
Cook: 10 min
Yield: 6 servings
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 small apples, washed and dried, stems removed
- 2 (9.5-ounce) bags soft caramel candies, unwrapped (recommended: Kraft Classic Caramels)
- 1/4 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 1 (4-ounce) bar 53 percent cocoa dark chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (recommended: Nestle Chocolatier)
- Assorted small candies, chopped nuts and sprinkles
*Special Equipment: 6 craft or thick wooden sticks*
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with vegetable oil cooking spray. Insert the craft sticks halfway into the stem-ends of the apples.
2. In a medium, heavy saucepan, over low heat, combine the caramel candies and orange juice. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the candies have melted and the mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool for 2 minutes. Dip the apples in the caramel until coated and put them on the parchment paper until firm, about 2 hours.
3. Put the chocolate in a medium bowl and set it over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate over the caramel. Put the apples back on the parchment paper for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with small candies, chopped nuts or sprinkles and allow the chocolate to harden, at room temperature, for about 3 to 4 hours.
4. Smile & have fun!