Tacos are a perfect lunch and dinner dish, no one can deny that. However we’ve got something a little more sophisticated on the menu than just plain ol’ beef tacos – we introduce you to chipotle chicken tacos. They’re a much healthier alternative! Chicken is high in protein, whereas the tomato puree has lycopene — an antioxidant linked to lowering the risk of stroke or cardiovascular disease. So, let’s get to it then, shall we? These tacos won’t make themselves!
Chipotle Chicken Tacos
No worries though, you can always pair these tacos with an ice-cold Mexican lager.
Active time: 40 minutes ** Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes ** Makes: 6 servings
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 white onion, thinly sliced
– 4 garlic cloves, sliced
– 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
– 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
– 2 cups chicken stock
– One 14 ounce can tomato puree
– 1 oregano sprig
– 2 bay leaves
– 4 1/2 pounds skinless whole chicken legs
– Twelve 5-inch flour tortillas
– 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
– Kosher salt and pepper
– Cilantro, lime wedges, and sliced onion for serving
1. Heat oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add onion, garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook over moderate high heat until onion has softened. Add stock, tomato puree, oregano and bay leaves; bring it to a boil. Add the chicken, be sure to partially cover and simmer until cooked, around 35 to 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, go ahead and preheat the oven to 400°. In batches, start to fold the tortillas in half and then stuff them in between the cups of an inverted muffin tin to form the shells. Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp.
3. Remove the chicken from the sauce and then shred the meat. Return the meat to the sauce and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Get rid of the bay leaves and oregano sprig. Stir in vinegar and add salt and pepper. Serve in the taco shells and add cilantro, lime and onion.