Now that winter truly is upon us and it’s cold outside, it is the perfect time to whip up some delicious and warm soup! A definite classic, onion soup is so simple and easy to make, which is why it’s the perfect choice for dinner on a chilly evening. Its delicious taste is unlike anything else, and onions are also healthy. They’re full of potassium and vitamin C which aid in lowering blood pressure. As if you need any more reasons to make this tasty soup, onion soup pairs perfectly with some garlic bread and some cheese melted into the soup itself, making it a tasty indulgence. So without further ado, let’s jump right into it. We have here an amazing and easy onion soup that you can make any time you want. All you need is a little time to prepare the onions and some patience and you’ll be good to go!
What Will I Need?
The ingredients are pretty straightforward and easy to get. They’re all available in just about any grocery and supermarket:
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil.
- 7-8 Large white onions.
- 2 Cloves of garlic.
- 2 Tbsp. dry onion soup mix.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heavy cream (optional).
- Yellow cheese of your choice – to melt (also optional).
How Do I Make It?
- First, you’ll need to slice all your onions and brown them. You just put the oil in a frying pan and place the onions with it, letting them simmer on a low flame for 40 minutes or so – until they brown – not burn! Just make sure to keep stirring them every now and again to prevent them from burning. We just want a brown color, not black.
- Once the onions are done, transfer them to a large pot with a heavy bottom and fill it with water almost all the way, about 3/4 full. Put on a low flame under the pot.
- Slice the garlic and add it to the pot along with the soup mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it cook on a medium to low flame for about 40 minutes while covered.
- If you want to make the soup more creamy, you can add heavy cream.
- Another option is to put some cheese into the soup when it’s already in a bowl to serve and then it will melt.
Garlic bread is also an amazing combination with this soup! Now, all that’s left to do is serve and enjoy!